Page 1 of 2

BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 pm
by DCIV
There is a 2014 local with 62k. They want 14k for it. Same as I’ve been looking for escapes.

Remind me why bmw’s suck with a 2.0 turbo and 8 speed trans!


Coop

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 pm
by Duck Vader
From research on those I did before I found them to have pretty decent reliability. Issue comes with cost of maintenance and parts when shit does go wrong though. :d ontknow:

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:39 pm
by vr4
Maintenance.

Based on the fact you still haven't done a timing belt on your crv.... You don't do any.


A BMW without doing any maintenance will come back and hurt you

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:41 pm
by Jeff V.
/thread :p

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:48 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Jeff V.""]/thread :p [/quote]

Might as well close it.

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 pm
by ChargerX3
[quote=""vr4""]Maintenance.

Based on the fact you still haven't done a timing belt on your crv.... You don't do any.


A BMW without doing any maintenance will come back and hurt you[/quote]

Image

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:11 pm
by vr4
Relevant. Just found this on Reddit when someone asked why resale value drop so fast on some vehicles.
Case 2- It's general functioning was a magical work of fuckery, and only the most richest of owners (or shadiest of shadetrees) could keep them rolling in top form, otherwise they crumbled to shit in the fullness of time. Looking at you, BMW.

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:38 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""vr4""]Maintenance.

Based on the fact you still haven't done a timing belt on your crv.... You don't do any.


A BMW without doing any maintenance will come back and hurt you[/quote]

I’m not against maintance, I do it in my vr4. Your right, I haven’t done any on the crv. I’ve done fluids in the trans, rear diff, and engine oil. I wanted to get a different vehicle 2 years ago....didn’t work out like that. Then I never wanted to dump money on a vehicle I was gonna sell.

So it’s not that I’m against maintance.

Coop

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:44 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""DCIV""] I wanted to get a different vehicle 2 years ago....didn’t work out like that. Then I never wanted to dump money on a vehicle I was gonna sell.

So it’s not that I’m against maintance.

Coop[/quote]

Hence why I get super nervous when buying a used car...

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:47 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""Duck Vader""]Hence why I get super nervous when buying a used car...[/quote]

Yup, but if I were buying a 200k vehicle if they couldn’t provide receipts of stuff like that being done...I would do it. I think that’s common knowledge.

I will also add that my crv engine is non interfierencs engine so while I may be stranded, I wouldn’t be out an engine.


Coop

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:48 pm
by Jeff V.
It's expensive, German maintenance. We can't even get you to crack a service manual on your Mitsu, and you think you're going to take on a BMW? Trust us, you don't want to go down that road.

Ford, GM, or Asian. Get a Kia Sportage. My mom loves hers. She's got a 40 mile round trip commute on terrible MI roads in crappy weather, and she drives it like it's a sports car. Not one problem in 3 years. Vira's Mazda is a great car, and I like the Kia even better than that.

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:49 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""DCIV""]I’m not against maintance, I do it in my vr4. Your right, I haven’t done any on the crv. I’ve done fluids in the trans, rear diff, and engine oil. I wanted to get a different vehicle 2 years ago....didn’t work out like that. Then I never wanted to dump money on a vehicle I was gonna sell.

So it’s not that I’m against maintance.

Coop[/quote]

Considering it's an interference engine, if the belt breaks, you probably won't be able to sell it for much. Seems like logical sense, especially when the kit is around $100 bucks including the water pump, to not fix it and risk it instead.

[quote=""DCIV""]I will also add that my crv engine is non interfierencs engine so while I may be stranded, I wouldn’t be out an engine.


Coop[/quote]

From what I read on gates.com, it is an interference engine.

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:52 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""Jeff V.""]It's expensive, German maintenance. We can't even get you to crack a service manual on your Mitsu, and you think you're going to take on a BMW? Trust us, you don't want to go down that road.

Ford, GM, or Asian. Get a Kia Sportage. My mom loves hers. She's got a 40 mile round trip commute on terrible MI roads in crappy weather, and she drives it like it's a sports car. Not one problem in 3 years. Vira's Mazda is a great car, and I like the Kia even better than that.[/quote]

This is more what I wanted to hear.

I think I could take on a bmw, any vehicle I care about I would do what I need to. I quit caring about the crv years and years ago.


Coop

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:54 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""aaronatstate""]Considering it's an interference engine, if the belt breaks, you probably won't be able to sell it for much. Seems like logical sense, especially when the kit is around $100 bucks including the water pump, to not fix it and risk it instead.



From what I read on gates.com, it is an interference engine.[/quote]

Did you look at the 97? I knew the 99-01’s were. But from reading years ago I thought mine wasn’t.

If it’s not I may be spending some time in the garage soon.


Coop

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:00 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""DCIV""]Did you look at the 97? I knew the 99-01’s were. But from reading years ago I thought mine wasn’t.

If it’s not I may be spending some time in the garage soon.


Coop[/quote]

According to Gates.com, it is. It's still a B20 motor in all years. Just had a bit more power in the later years.

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:07 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""aaronatstate""]According to Gates.com, it is. It's still a B20 motor in all years. Just had a bit more power in the later years.[/quote]

I can’t decied if I am glad I read this....or not. Lol.


Coop

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:44 pm
by ChargerX3
[quote=""Jeff V.""]It's expensive, German maintenance. We can't even get you to crack a service manual on your Mitsu, and you think you're going to take on a BMW? Trust us, you don't want to go down that road.

Ford, GM, or Asian. Get a Kia Sportage. My mom loves hers. She's got a 40 mile round trip commute on terrible MI roads in crappy weather, and she drives it like it's a sports car. Not one problem in 3 years. Vira's Mazda is a great car, and I like the Kia even better than that.[/quote]

Good points. :cool:

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:55 pm
by vr4
I'm pretty sure all Honda engines from at least the last 30 years are interference. Sure some people have gotten lucky but don't count on it.

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""vr4""]I'm pretty sure all Honda engines from at least the last 30 years are interference. Sure some people have gotten lucky but don't count on it.[/quote]

I mean I think it's a safe rule of thumb to assume all engines with timing belts have interference engines. I think it's a lot rarer to have one that isn't at least from what I've seen.

Re: BMW X1

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:34 pm
by Chris GTO TT
The only one I've come across as non-interference is 90-05 Miata's.