Page 1 of 9
The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:23 am
by Jeff V.
Uh huh

Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:05 am
by Chris GTO TT
Giggity
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:19 am
by ChargerX3
Did you pull the trigger?
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:45 am
by Jeff V.
Yes. Yes I did.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:58 am
by ChargerX3
Nice timing! In for story.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 am
by Jeff V.
Not much of a story. Guy agreed to end the eBay auction early for 2300. He was about 20 miles from our house. Dunno how long this link will be good:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Mitsubish ... 3273111491
It needs some work. Most notably brakes, and a new muffler. The front tires are mismatched. I'm going to swap over the wheels and tires from the truck for now. There's some electrical gremlins too, but I can handle that. The rust isn't very bad at all.
It's a pig with those big ass tires on it. It'll just make me appreciate my Corvette more.

Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:50 am
by ChargerX3
Thats a great price for that clean of a Truck in good running condition. I like that it has minimal rust too. With those big 33s you should have fun this winter. You ever had a a 4x4 with this much lift and off-road capability?
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:58 am
by Jeff V.
It barely makes it up a hill, and the front end vibrates at random intervals. It weighs as much as a VR4 and has less than half the power. I don't care how cool the tires look. It sucks
The KC area gets more ice than snow. I don't need ground clearance. I need grip. I think the tires I have on the truck will fill that need. I'll figure out a long term solution once the truck runs under its own power.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:51 am
by ChargerX3
Haha. Welcome back to the 80s/90s. Youve had it too good lately! Give it time. Maybe she will start to grow on you.
Yours come with rear lsd?
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:50 am
by Jeff V.
No LSD.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:35 pm
by ChargerX3
Bummer. You going to look for an lsd unit?
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:39 pm
by Duck Vader
All this LSD talk is making me look for one for the XJ. Really don't think I need one in there, but ya know, can't leave shit alone.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 pm
by Jeff V.
I have no plans right now aside from fixing what needs to be fixed. Right now that's brakes, exhaust, and lighting.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Jeff V.""]It barely makes it up a hill, and the front end vibrates at random intervals. It weighs as much as a VR4 and has less than half the power. I don't care how cool the tires look. It sucks
The KC area gets more ice than snow. I don't need ground clearance. I need grip. I think the tires I have on the truck will fill that need. I'll figure out a long term solution once the truck runs under its own power.[/quote]
Time to stick that spare VR4 motor you have in there

Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:06 pm
by Duck Vader
Re-gear is better than more power with bigger tires.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:17 pm
by Jeff V.
There aren't many gearing options for Monteros. I'm not re-gearing this thing even if I could find parts. I'm just going to swap over the wheels and tires from the truck for now. They're practically new anyway. I think they're 31". I'll figure out a long term plan for tires once the truck runs under its own power.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:33 pm
by ChargerX3
No need to regear. 4.63s will be good enough. Best you can do domestically is 4.9 anyways. Then its a hassle swapping everything over. Finding a 4.63 lsd rear out of a first gen isnt super difficult. Its also not bad swapping 3rd members out should the itch arise.
Like you I just need to get mine running properly first. That means tearing into the motor, and fixing leaks in the power steering, trans, and tc. My muffler is also separated from the exhaust.
I still cant help planning for this build. I pulled the 4.63 lsd several years ago so that will eventually go in. I also will be swapping quite a few SR parts over as many of them are interchangeable improvements.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:56 pm
by DCIV
Tires make a huge difference. Its still gonna be a hog but tire size will change sooooo much.
Coop
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:04 pm
by Duck Vader
Honestly didn't notice much change on the XJ going from 225 to 265.
What it the HP/TQ on these things? It is I want to say 190/225 on the 4.0 in the XJ. Also has 3.55 gears I think.
Re: The Full Monte
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:10 pm
by Jeff V.
145 hp, 170 lb-ft.