AC Compressor Noises..

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
ccrunner84
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:11 am

AC Compressor Noises..

Post by ccrunner84 »

My AC blows cold air, its about the same temp as my 04 Ion. What I can't figure out is some sort of hiss / ticking / pss pss noise while driving with it on. I've replaced the belt so its not that, the low side pressure reads 'normal' on a refill kit as well. You can't hear the noise at idle from what I can remember, its only while driving / accelerating and it immediately goes away when I turn the AC off.

Ideas anyone? :confused:

Thanks,

Nick
User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Re: AC Compressor Noises..

Post by vegasidol »

My guess is dry pulley/bearings.
User avatar
Monochrome
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 18264
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: NE Maryland
Contact:

Re: AC Compressor Noises..

Post by Monochrome »

Remove the belt again & spin all the pulleys. See which one makes a sound.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold :(
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold :(

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
ccrunner84
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:11 am

Re: AC Compressor Noises..

Post by ccrunner84 »

It seems to be the A/C clutch dragging or something when disengaged.
User avatar
TajMan
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Salt Lake valley UT

Re: AC Compressor Noises..

Post by TajMan »

When you re-fill AC systems your supposed to put an oil in the system. I don't know if I've ever heard a compressor making noise from need of oil when the system is still charged good with coolant.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi
Image
Post Reply