Page 3 of 5

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2026 8:08 pm
by DCIV
Wow. That’s awesome.


Coop

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 3:48 pm
by Duck Vader
We will see how I feel about it over the next few months, but it is like night and day difference to the point that I might hold off on swapping in a manual trans.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 4:33 pm
by ChargerX3
Better than the Camero?

;)

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 4:45 pm
by Chris GTO TT
Duck Vader wrote: ↑Mon Jul 13, 2026 3:48 pm We will see how I feel about it over the next few months, but it is like night and day difference to the point that I might hold off on swapping in a manual trans.
I think that's a good plan. IMO a properly tuned automatic is proper for a Chevelle

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 4:59 pm
by Duck Vader
Problem is long term the 700r4 is not known for its ability to handle high torque a BBC would be putting through it. So at that point I'd need to look into beefing it up or swapping in something different.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 3:02 pm
by vr4
Duck Vader wrote: ↑Mon Jul 13, 2026 4:59 pm Problem is long term the 700r4 is not known for its ability to handle high torque a BBC would be putting through it. So at that point I'd need to look into beefing it up or swapping in something different.
well....yeah. if you decide to go big block i would expect a 4l80 to go in with it.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 3:07 pm
by aaronatstate
vr4 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 14, 2026 3:02 pm
Duck Vader wrote: ↑Mon Jul 13, 2026 4:59 pm Problem is long term the 700r4 is not known for its ability to handle high torque a BBC would be putting through it. So at that point I'd need to look into beefing it up or swapping in something different.
well....yeah. if you decide to go big block i would expect a 4l80 to go in with it.
I'm pretty sure he's already made the decision to go to a big block, and put this engine into the Camaro.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 3:51 pm
by ChargerX3
I bet the plan changes again.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 5:03 pm
by Duck Vader
aaronatstate wrote: ↑Tue Jul 14, 2026 3:07 pm
vr4 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 14, 2026 3:02 pm
Duck Vader wrote: ↑Mon Jul 13, 2026 4:59 pm Problem is long term the 700r4 is not known for its ability to handle high torque a BBC would be putting through it. So at that point I'd need to look into beefing it up or swapping in something different.
well....yeah. if you decide to go big block i would expect a 4l80 to go in with it.
I'm pretty sure he's already made the decision to go to a big block, and put this engine into the Camaro.
More than likely this is the route I will end up going.

Not sure if I wan to stick with an auto though or go with manual. Auto would be best to get 4L80, but if I go manual I will have to decide between TKX and T56 Magnum. The TKX will drop right in with little to no modification since about same size as the 700R4. T56 might require some tunnel modification. But the T56 can handle more torque. TKX is rated at 600 tq, 56 at 700. Both are probably underrated, but a BBC will produce a lot of TQ.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2026 7:50 pm
by Duck Vader

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 12:02 am
by DCIV
After owning a big block….whats the draw? Lots of small blocks make the power.


Coop

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 12:04 am
by Duck Vader
The level of power I'm going to go for, cost per hp is easier to obtain in a big block. Plus I love the sound of one. Lol.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 12:21 am
by DCIV
Everyone says the 8.1 big block really can’t make good sounds. I asked when I first joined.

The parts seem hard/more expensive to come by, the gains do seem nice but there are way more options for small block that cost is cheaper and options are more.

Personally, I wanted the 496 to have the big block and while it’s nice. I think a 6.0 would do everything I want. Plus aftermarket better and soooo much cheaper.

I respect the “do what you want” so please do what you want. But don’t do it just because you wanna say “it’s got a big block”

Coop

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 2:00 am
by Duck Vader
Modern LS, sure. It's easier to make reliable power. But I don't want a modern LS, and I'm trying to avoid putting a blower on it. Getting 700-750 hp all motor is easier on a big block. That's going to be my goal. Right now it's surprisingly quick for having about 420 hp, but I'd rather get closer to the 600 rwhp, and if I end up keeping it an auto, that means around at least 700 crank. It already has the rear end to handle it.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 3:03 pm
by vr4
Duck Vader wrote: ↑Mon Jul 20, 2026 2:00 am Modern LS, sure. It's easier to make reliable power. But I don't want a modern LS, and I'm trying to avoid putting a blower on it. Getting 700-750 hp all motor is easier on a big block. That's going to be my goal. Right now it's surprisingly quick for having about 420 hp, but I'd rather get closer to the 600 rwhp, and if I end up keeping it an auto, that means around at least 700 crank. It already has the rear end to handle it.
put it on a dyno. please.

remember a stock VR4 is surprisingly quick for only having 230-240whp.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 3:08 pm
by Duck Vader
I think the closest dyno is the one I had my vette on in Kennewick. They charge $500 to do a run on it.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 3:41 pm
by ChargerX3
Older small block chevy powerplants aren't known for reliably handling hp. Their big blocks fare much better. As much as i like NA setups, FI is much better as well as all the current modern tech. Id probably just LS swap it if i were in the same boat and modernize the whole drivetrain. A lot has improved in 60 years.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 4:23 pm
by Duck Vader
I get that, but I am not looking to modernize this one too much. I like the old school big blocks

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 4:42 pm
by ChargerX3
I get that. Enjoy the nostalgia. All of my Chargers are still Big Block N/A's with hopes of eventually updating...someday.

Re: I am not a smart man, but I know what love is

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 5:32 pm
by Duck Vader
Bringing it to a local shop to give it a good once over before our next big car show. Then after the show I might get it on a dyno.