Page 1 of 2

Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:26 pm
by Duck Vader
Now that the Jeep is running so much better one thing I really want to upgrade is the sound system in the thing. Up until last year I only had the factory radio and speakers.

Then the factory radio took a shit and just stopped working all together. So bought the cheapest "decent" radio I could find on sale. This one - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XR4120 ... R4120.html

The radio itself works fine, but it is annoying in that I can't dim it and it is super bright at night. Have a piece of paper I put over it while driving to keep it from blinding me.

Since we are driving this thing more I would like to upgrade the factory speakers and put a better radio in. May or may not look into getting a small sub as well. Would probably help a lot with sound, but not sure if I want to do something that involved yet?

Anyway, there are 4 speakers, currently all 5.25" - one in each front door and two in the roof in the back. Was going to upgrade them all to 6.5" - since that is the biggest you can fit in the factory locations. Preferably ones without a separate tweeter since there isn't a separate place for them now and like I said, don't want to make a big project out of this. So it has to be a 2-way. Just want better sound over factory.

These are the 12 available through Crutchfield I was looking at. They all have good reviews, but no idea what would be best? Looking for decent bass and decently clear sound. Used to the Bose system in the Volt.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-C ... ank1]2-way

Any recommendations on any of those?

If I do go the subwoofer route - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_663XJPOD/ ... J-Pod.html - that is probably the enclosure I would run.

If I do that, any recommended subwoofer for it? Need to be 8" with a max depth of 6". I would also need to know what wiring I would need, a recommended amp, etc. I don't know shit when it comes to that stuff.

As for a replacement radio, would like to at least be able to dim it, have bluetooth, etc. Doesn't need to play CDs, doesn't need GPS, doesn't need DVD, etc. Just want to be able to have a decent head unit to hook the phones up to and will have enough power/output stuff for the speakers.

These are the units under $200

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-C ... ice=50-200

Any of those you recommend?

Basically if I could get a decent head unit and 4 good speakers without the need for a sub that would be best. But if I have to get a sub, is there any of those unit I could use without needing a separate amp?

Thanks!

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:11 pm
by ChargerX3
How about another oem unit with CD player. I have that in mine. I would mimic the ohm resistance of the stock ones. As long as they match and fit most of those should be fine. I still have my stock setup so I’m not certain which way to direct you.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:32 pm
by Duck Vader
Don't need and won't use a CD player. Bluetooth is important to the wife. We are also very into music so a good sound system is also important.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:34 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""Duck Vader""]Don't need and won't use a CD player. Bluetooth is important to the wife. We are also very into music so a good sound system is also important.[/quote]

Does not compute...

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm
by Duck Vader
What doesn't compute?

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm
by Chris GTO TT
You want a good sound system, but want to only listen in crap bit rates?

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:03 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]You want a good sound system, but want to only listen in crap bit rates?[/quote]

CDs sound better but are a major pain. Spotify premium sounds close enough and can easily change between whatever we are in the mood to listen to. Plus has so much more. We still get CDs from time to time, but the ease of and the choices from Spotify premium is well worth the slight difference in sound.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:04 pm
by Chris GTO TT
Problem is Bluetooth lowers that bit rate back down.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:12 pm
by ChargerX3
They make FM transmitters if you want to stream from your phone, or you can plug in via one of those cassette tapes with the wire.

This is what i have minus the aux line. Looks like someone puts those in now.

Image

Jut in case...
https://www.1factoryradio.com/chrysler- ... o-sw-ctrl/

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 pm
by Duck Vader
The $30 one we have now has an aux line... Still cheaper option that factory replacement.


As for Bluetooth bit rate stuff. The sound quality is very good. Not great, but honestly don't notice enough of a difference to justify using only cds and be extremely limited.

Also part of the Bluetooth want is for hands free calling.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm
by ChargerX3
[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]Problem is Bluetooth lowers that bit rate back down.[/quote]
:highfive:
[quote=""Duck Vader""]The $30 one we have now has an aux line... Still cheaper option that factory replacement.


As for Bluetooth bit rate stuff. The sound quality is very good. Not great, but honestly don't notice enough of a difference to justify using only cds and be extremely limited.

Also part of the Bluetooth want is for hands free calling.[/quote]

Once again if you want bluetooth they make plenty of nice working plug in adapters for less than $20 that stream your music and take your phone calls. I dont have a picture of mine, but it does an excellent job in my Max. Almost as good as my Ford's hands free.

Image

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:55 pm
by Duck Vader
And again we have had those.

We use Bluetooth for calling. Aux for music from the phones.

We need a new radio. So why not get one that has everything we need.

Figure factory radio from pick n pull plus buying Bluetooth adapter is about $50. Then you have a 20 year old radio you don't know how long will last. Or I can get a new one for about the same price and have a nice new radio with warranty and all the features we want.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:11 pm
by Chris GTO TT
I get it I'm just being pedantic, because it's one of my pet peves. It's like when people say they love high quality sound as they put their Airpods in and listen to music from iTunes.

With a quality set of wired ear buds I can tell the difference between most 128bit, 320bit and lossless audio.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:16 pm
by ChargerX3
I have a hard time recognizing a difference over 320 bit.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:24 pm
by stealthee
I love music, but I'm not an audio snob. I can't tell the difference of whether a CD is in or if it's playing bluetooth off the 4000+ songs on my phone.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:43 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""ChargerX3""]I have a hard time recognizing a difference over 320 bit.[/quote]

Yeah at that point its as much about your ear as your equipment. I really want to find some lossless audio for my home theater/stereo but I don't listen to too much music outside of the car. I am however a big fan of blu-ray because it comes with much better audio quality than streaming. I can hear that.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:49 pm
by Duck Vader
I am kind of partially deaf, so there is that. Have trouble hearing certain tones and my right ear actually can not hear all that well.

I just love music. Listen to hours a day. However I have gotten used to using higher end equipment. Bose in the car. Nice Klipsch system on the computer with a good sub. Surround sound in the living room. etc. So going from that to the Jeep with the four 20 year old speakers is annoying. :lol:

So anyone have any recommendations based on what I listed above?

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:02 pm
by ChargerX3
[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]Yeah at that point its as much about your ear as your equipment. I really want to find some lossless audio for my home theater/stereo but I don't listen to too much music outside of the car. I am however a big fan of blu-ray because it comes with much better audio quality than streaming. I can hear that.[/quote]

Im all for quality. I just think my ears must not be as tuned as yours and some others. I dont have bad hearing by any means, but you Lossless guys must be experiencing something the rest of us arent.

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:48 pm
by Duck Vader
Tried pricing some of this stuff out.

No idea what wires I would need or amp or what head unit would be best if I were to get a sub.

Just by guessing I ended up around $500 after all said and one. Head unit, amp, sub, enclosure, speakers, and what wiring I guessed on. I can do the install myself, just don't know what all I would need. :lol:

Re: Radio/Speakers Advice

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:35 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Im all for quality. I just think my ears must not be as tuned as yours and some others. I dont have bad hearing by any means, but you Lossless guys must be experiencing something the rest of us arent.[/quote]

To me the difference between regular Dolby Digital/DTS and their lossless counter parts is pretty dramatic on a good home theater, sound bars need not apply. Most people don't realize it but regular Dolby Digital is highly compressed and actually the worst sound quality of the major movie options. DTS has a better bit rate, and then Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio are both lossless.

Music on the other hand is much harder tell the difference. The best music to hear the difference is actually classical, but no one really listens to it. In music the bit rate increase is much more about subtle things than big differences.