Page 1 of 3
Stereo
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 am
by DCIV
Over the years I have had all types of setups for stereos. Had an aftermarket set up, had a carputer, and now I just want the fake flat screen I have. Somehow I just want to plug in my phone and it play music. No actual stereo, just my phone.
How do I make that happen?
Coop
Re: Stereo
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 pm
by Jeff V.
Just get a basic bluetooth head unit. I had one in my Focus. We moved it to Vira's VR4 after the Focus was sold.
Press the source button, go to aux, then start your music player on the phone. It couldn't be easier. It's a single DIN, so it only has a text display, but it's cheap. I even made a harness to connect to the Montero amp I put in her car.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:32 pm
by DCIV
Eh, just want it nice and simple....cell phone, amp, speakers. Can't happen? Has to have a receiver?
Coop
Re: Stereo
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:40 pm
by Jeff V.
What difference does it make? It's all one unit. Who cares?
Re: Stereo
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:46 pm
by DCIV
I hate dealing with them, background colors, fading, channels, just tons of crap that every time the battery is changed out it resets....oh and I use a kill switch when I park a highly modified car under my bedroom, so I would have to deal with that. If it can't be done that's fine, I know very little about audio stuff...but after trying to go stupid complicated I would like super simple.
Coop
Re: Stereo
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 am
by BillyC
Car amps generally use rca jacks for inputs. Just get an rca to headphone adaptor cable and plug your phone/iPod directly to the amplifier.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:35 am
by stealthee
[quote=""DCIV""]I hate dealing with them, background colors, fading, channels, just tons of crap that every time the battery is changed out it resets....oh and I use a kill switch when I park a highly modified car under my bedroom, so I would have to deal with that. If it can't be done that's fine, I know very little about audio stuff...but after trying to go stupid complicated I would like super simple.
Coop[/quote]
You could hook the constant power directly to the battery and jump around any kill switch to avoid resetting of the headunit.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:40 am
by Jeff V.
Billy wrote:Car amps generally use rca jacks for inputs. Just get an rca to headphone adaptor cable and plug your phone/iPod directly to the amplifier.
Your average phone won't have enough output power to drive the amp directly. I've got one of the old factory Mitsu radios in my truck. One with an aux jack. My phone can barely even drive that without having the volume nearly maxed out.
He could do exactly what Brian said and have it done in an afternoon, but he'd rather spend weeks trying to reinvent the goddamn wheel.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:00 am
by DCIV
Well, never really thought about what brian said. Seems like that would be a drain on the battery wouldn't it? Like a big one? Doesn't the ignition off power it down in someway instead keeping it hooked right to the ignition? To be fair, I've never installed my own stereo stuff.....again, electrical, plus sound....not my forte.
I do have everything to hook it right to the amp, I may try that tomorrow just to see what type of sound I get though.
Coop
Re: Stereo
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:15 am
by stealthee
The factory stereo has a 12v constant. That's how it retains memory for stations and the clock. How would running the constant around a kill switch cause a big drain?
Re: Stereo
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 pm
by BillyC
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Your average phone won't have enough output power to drive the amp directly. I've got one of the old factory Mitsu radios in my truck. One with an aux jack. My phone can barely even drive that without having the volume nearly maxed out.
He could do exactly what Brian said and have it done in an afternoon, but he'd rather spend weeks trying to reinvent the goddamn wheel.[/quote]
Are you sure? I didn't think the RCA out on a head unit were powered, just carried the signal.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm
by Jeff V.
A signal by definition is power, and the amplifier just....amplifies it. So if it's too low to begin with, the amp is going to have to be cranked way up, which will usually add distortion.
Maybe a really good amp that can process a weak input would work. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to make any suggestions there. My truck will never have a nice stereo, Vira doesn't really care about hers as long as they just work, and my Audi has a Bang and Olufson system that has forever ruined me for any other car audio.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:44 am
by DCIV
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EinCar-BVB25 ... 3=&veh=sem
Think I will do something like this. I don't own a cd and so I don't need anything that plays it and actually behind where the stereo is where the controller for the blackstealth logger and eventually my keyless start. So the slimmer the better and honestly just to get me tunes the better.
Where should I get the adapter for a 3/s to hook up to aftermarket radio? Also is that all it is, those connectors and good to go? No seperate power wire or something?
Need to figure back out how to hook up the amp and everything as all of that is disconnected.
Thoughts?
Coop
Re: Stereo
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:20 am
by stealthee
You're going to get what you pay for on that thing.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:47 am
by DCIV
I figure so, but I also don't drive the car very much. If I end up driving it a lot then I don't care to drop 300 plus in a head unit.
Coop
Re: Stereo
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:05 pm
by BillyC
A nice little no frills Alpine or Pioneer head unit can be had for $150-200 bucks.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:06 pm
by Duck Vader
Crutchfield usually has some decent ones on sale too.
Re: Stereo
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:27 pm
by DCIV
I looked a lot on those, maybe I suck at finding any but I really want it to be a shallow fit. I have a ton of stuff in that area. Honestly, I kind of want to put them in my glove box now but everything is wired up right there. If you all can find a 200 shallow unit that you think is better....I'm all game.
Coop
Re: Stereo
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 pm
by DCIV
https://www.walmart.com/ip/7010B-7-Inch ... /929464970
I just bought this after watching some videos on youtube. It may be a flop but all I want is to hook up my phone and play music.
Where do you all get your adapters to the plug into the mitsu harness so I dont go cutting things up?
Coop
Re: Stereo
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:22 am
by tabasco122
They make plenty of Bluetooth enabled amps. Usually cheaper but if all you want is music it will be fine.