New daily driver for the family

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by ChargerX3 »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]

The recent Chrysler Hemi ECUs were regarded as uncrackable for a while, on account of them using some rolling authentication code for reprogramming, but it looks like that's been defeated too.[/quote]

You dont know how much that pleases my heart. Getting close to buying the Mrs. the Durango R/T this year, but am stalling because a new body style might come out very soon. Either way I was wanting to tune it and possibly throw on a supercharger down the line. :D
Image
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by stealthee »

I've thought about looking into a tune for the Lancer. From some searches some people have picked up several HP with just an open cone and a tune.
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25428
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Jeff V. »

I just went back and checked some of my old forums. It looks like there was a massive, massive leak from Bosch around Nov of last year. 800GB worth of stuff. I'm a little afraid to download it. But it's got stuff in there for both mine and Hans' cars...
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Hans_GZP »

[quote=""mjannusch""]There's new support in HPTuners now for some Mercedes... Not sure if it covers yours or not.

http://hptuners.com[/quote]

Interesting. I'm a dealer for them too. I just never thought they would get into that market.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Hans_GZP »

We're looking at ML63's to replace our ML500. So, that could make things interesting :)
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by mjannusch »

[quote=""Hans_GZP""]Interesting. I'm a dealer for them too. I just never thought they would get into that market.[/quote]
I need the full VCM Suite Professional for GM so I can work on the Stingray, so let me know if you want to set something up for that. :D
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Hans_GZP »

[quote=""mjannusch""]I need the full VCM Suite Professional for GM so I can work on the Stingray, so let me know if you want to set something up for that. :D [/quote]

I can do $610 on the VCM Pro package with 8 GM credits.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by mjannusch »

Cool, let's do it... Do you want to set it up on your website or something, or handle it another way? Thanks!
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Hans_GZP »

First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25428
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Jeff V. »

In some of the reading I've been doing about the SL, people have said the V12 TT is 'very expensive to maintain'. Besides the coil pack issue, what really makes it different or more expensive than a V8?

What's the difference in upkeep in an S430/500 vs an S600?
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Hans_GZP »

Besides turbos and coils. Nothing is more expensive. And, you actually end up saving a bit of money doing spark plugs on a V12 since you don't have to do wires ($200 for a V8 set). Water pump is pretty expensive at $400, but I don't know of many people that actually replace it as preventive maintenance (except for myself). Intercooler heat exchanger pump is inexpensive at around $120. Fuel pumps are semi common to do. They are around $200, but they have the added benefit of being super easy to replace since they are external. I can't really think of anything that was so much more expensive over my V8 that I wished I never bought the car. I probably spent around $3000 in parts to get the S600 in great mechanical condition again. And I touched every system on the car. It was very neglected when it came to maintenance, so it was more of an extreme than anything. Just about anything that needs to be done to it, can be done DIY at home. Every resource is available to you at minimal costs.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25428
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Jeff V. »

It seems like most of the financial fear is from people who pay a dealer or indy shop to do every little bit of maintenance. For people who can do major work for themselves, this could be the performance bargain of the century.

Even a Renntech transmission upgrade is 'only' $3700. That's cheaper than their $4980 carbon airbox package :lol:


Or I could just get a Corvette and actually sleep at night :p
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26792
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by DCIV »

Jeff....you have made one of my one of my points exactly. A vette would be so simple and easy...but just not rare or different. Plus all the easy upgrades for a vette, I would have that thing torn apart within a month of owning it.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Hans_GZP »

You don't have to worry about modifying the mercedes past a simple tune. That's an extra 100-120 hp on top of 612 hp it already comes with. You would need a ZR1 with modifications to come close to those power numbers.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25428
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Jeff V. »

I wouldn't touch that car. I even like the wheels. 600hp is plenty. About the only thing I'd do is ditch the wood trim and try to update to a modern aftermarket nav system.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Hans_GZP »

This is true. But it is just a damn powerful car stock. That's all. It's not meant to be a race car. Just a crazy street car with creature comforts not found in a Vette of the same era.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25428
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by Jeff V. »

I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
BATMAN
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:00 am
Location: Gotham

Re: New daily driver for the family

Post by BATMAN »

Thanks Jeff. I really needed that manual in a PDF.

I didn't read it I just clicked it and it downloaded. No biggie. Next time I'll read prior to clicking.
Post Reply