Page 4 of 6

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:09 pm
by Duck Vader
Probably get a good set of summer tires and cheap wheels with winter tires then?

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:14 pm
by vr4
Good all seasons and a set of dedicated winters. Either find a used set of oem alloys online or just get a package from tire rack.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:18 pm
by Duck Vader
I'll have to price some stuff out.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 am
by mjannusch
Keep the Kia and get a set of cheap wheels and snow tires from Tire Rack. I put Michelin X-Ice snow tires on our Volt and that thing works better in the snow than our new Silverado with 4WD.

No other investment is more worth it for safety in the snow.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:18 pm
by alienviking
Snow tires > * for winter. Period. All seasons are junk when the weather really hits. I'd take a RWD on snow tires over an AWD with all-seasons ANY day in bad weather.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:02 pm
by Duck Vader
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... oYear=2017

Anyone ever have those? Can get them for 470 installed at Costco

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:25 pm
by vr4
Those will be much better than whatever is on there now but iirc they do get loud as they wear.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:47 pm
by Duck Vader

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:42 am
by aaronatstate
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... toModClar=

These are the tires we got for my wife’s Explorer. They are fantastic in the snow for an all season (they have the 3 peak mountain symbol), fantastic in the wet, and good in the dry (super quiet too).

Yes they are $50 more per tire than the BFGs you posted, but they have almost double the tread rating so they will last significantly longer. Also you don’t need an ultra high performance all season tire for a Kia Soul...

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:20 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""aaronatstate""]https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... toModClar=

These are the tires we got for my wife’s Explorer. They are fantastic in the snow for an all season (they have the 3 peak mountain symbol), fantastic in the wet, and good in the dry (super quiet too).

Yes they are $50 more per tire than the BFGs you posted, but they have almost double the tread rating so they will last significantly longer. Also you don’t need an ultra high performance all season tire for a Kia Soul...[/quote]

Link didn’t work.

Coop

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:00 pm
by Duck Vader
When time comes to get tires, I will probably get whatever the best tire Costco has on sale at that time. Their prices with install tend to be really good.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:07 pm
by Chris GTO TT
Their price is good but I get tired of having to wait 4hours for a rotation, and if you don't have them do the rotation you loose the treadwear warranty. :grumble:

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:53 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""DCIV""]Link didn’t work.

Coop[/quote]

Works for me still. :d ontknow:

Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires is what I posted.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 pm
by ChargerX3
Discount Tire gives you best pricing anyways. Just go there.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:12 pm
by Duck Vader
Last time I compared pricing Costco was much better and offered a better warranty. That is why I used them for the Volt.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:19 pm
by Duck Vader
For instance. I can get the same tires installed that I put on the Volt for $120 cheaper at Costco than Discount Tire.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 pm
by ChargerX3
Discount Tire Price matches everyone. Just take your quote over. They also have many stores, so you can do a quick rotation. Warranty should be just as good.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:48 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""aaronatstate""]Works for me still. :d ontknow:

Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires is what I posted.[/quote]

I actually wanted to get a set of those for the avalanche. Read a lot of good things about them. Glad you like them.


Coop

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:50 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Discount Tire Price matches everyone. Just take your quote over. They also have many stores, so you can do a quick rotation. Warranty should be just as good.[/quote]

Typically they match the installed price but you need to buy their "certificates" to match Costco's warranty.

Re: Small, "boxy", and awd?

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:55 pm
by vr4
[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]Their price is good but I get tired of having to wait 4hours for a rotation, and if you don't have them do the rotation you loose the treadwear warranty. :grumble: [/quote]

The only time I've ever had a tire not outlast it's treadwear warranty is if there was something else wrong (alignment) or I was racing on them.