Page 4 of 6

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:05 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Hans_GZP""]We were looking at a video of a ML63 beating an Aventador. Unbelievable what they can pull out of that 5.5 liter twin turbo engine. 900 hp without doing any fuel upgrades. Just a set of turbos, diverter valve, and a tune![/quote]

All for the price of a brand new car :lol:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:19 pm
by Jeff V.
Hans, have you got any links to that engine tuning software? I've never seen anything that can actually edit a Bosch ECU.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:23 pm
by Hans_GZP
Quick google search comes up with this. You want the Vediamo software. That is the factory engineering software to modify pretty much anything in the car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Diagno ... 2375260138

Main issue with the software is that, I believe, it's only in German. But, some people have translated some of the key functions.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:27 pm
by Hans_GZP
[quote=""aaronatstate""]All for the price of a brand new car :lol: [/quote]

$20k ish. But, when you're modifying a $100k suv, that's nothing. And, in the grand scheme of things.... 900 hp for $20k is pretty damn cheap haha.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:30 pm
by Jeff V.
Interesting. Even comes with a sketchy Chinese tablet. That looks like a diagnostic tool though. I thought you were looking for something that would actually be used for editing the calibrations in the ECU. Something that functioned like ECUFlash or HP Tuners.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:18 pm
by Hans_GZP
The Vediamo software can recalibrate the computers on the car. Way more in depth than a simple tuning program. I haven't played with it to see all of it's capabilities, but other people have. I'll end up buying that setup later.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:19 pm
by Hans_GZP
Website that just sells the Mercedes STAR setups. You can get the Vediamo software added for like $40. http://www.mbstartool.com/

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:21 pm
by Hans_GZP
The latest version is what you want. Any of the older versions need to be connected to the internet to function. That's a real pain in the ass.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:26 pm
by Jeff V.
Ok. I only saw stuff for doing variant coding, like what I had to do with my Audi to get the LED taillights working.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:39 pm
by Hans_GZP
It might be just a variant coder. I haven't hand my hands on it to know for sure. Trying to figure out what everyone uses besides buying a tune.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:57 pm
by Jeff V.
It seems like anyone who knows enough to edit a Bosch ECU keeps their mouth shut tight. Probably so they can sell $1000 tunes. DIY knowledge for those things is basically non-existent.

I've read about some factory definition files that exist, but I've never actually seen one, for any Bosch ECU.

Is your Benz one that has two engine computers? My S5 only has one, but the RS5 has two. I guess because of the dual throttle bodies and higher RPM. I think the R8s are the same setup. Your car doesn't rev over 8k, but you've got more cylinders and the turbos.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:59 pm
by Hans_GZP
I believe it's still only one control module for the engine.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:15 pm
by Jeff V.
Damn Germans don't miss any opportunities to make shit complex...

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Jeff V.""]DIY knowledge for those things is basically non-existent.[/quote]

I guess that's what happens when you can afford a $150k car, and to modify it. At that point you must say, why would I do this myself when I can pay someone to do it. I think even if I could afford a car of that level I'd still want to work on it myself.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:44 pm
by Jeff V.
You're right, but I was mostly talking about editing the ECUs. Mitsu and Subaru are really hacker friendly. I haven't looked into Nissan and Toyota much. There's plenty of tools for GM and Ford. But there's hardly anything for Bosch ECUs in the last 20 years.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:02 pm
by mjannusch
There's new support in HPTuners now for some Mercedes... Not sure if it covers yours or not.

http://hptuners.com

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:35 pm
by Jeff V.
Looks like the HP Tuners support is only for 07+ AMG 63 models. The 5.5 twin turbo engine Hans was talking about earlier.

It took me a fair amount of digging, but it looks like his V12 ECU is a Bosch ME 2.7.1. I've found info on how to connect to it for reflashing, but nothing describing the actual tools to use to reprogram it. What little info I found is mainly focused on cloning the immobilizer data to allow you to install a used ECU.

It'd be nice to find an English version of this: http://mb-mopr.ru/information/electrika ... 52.7.1.pdf

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:04 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Jeff V.""]You're right, but I was mostly talking about editing the ECUs. Mitsu and Subaru are really hacker friendly. I haven't looked into Nissan and Toyota much. There's plenty of tools for GM and Ford. But there's hardly anything for Bosch ECUs in the last 20 years.[/quote]

Wasn't there a whole bunch of stuff with the GTR ECU when it first came out? Who was that made by?

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:28 pm
by Jeff V.
Nissan claimed it was uncrackable and within a couple weeks of the car getting into public hands, it was cracked :lol: I think Hitachi made it.

The recent Chrysler Hemi ECUs were regarded as uncrackable for a while, on account of them using some rolling authentication code for reprogramming, but it looks like that's been defeated too.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:39 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Nissan claimed it was uncrackable and within a couple weeks of the car getting into public hands, it was cracked :lol: I think Hitachi made it. [/quote]

Oh I know it got cracked like right away, but is there software available for any person to make changes, or do you still have to buy expensive tunes?

[quote=""Jeff V.""]The recent Chrysler Hemi ECUs were regarded as uncrackable for a while, on account of them using some rolling authentication code for reprogramming, but it looks like that's been defeated too.[/quote]

That's interesting :chin: