Page 22 of 25

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:55 am
by tabasco122
Just fucking send it

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:10 am
by Chris GTO TT
I already nearly put it in a ditch once on a cold rainy day with the RE11's on it, I'll pass.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:01 am
by ChargerX3
[quote=""tabasco122""]Just fucking send it[/quote]

For real. Lol

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 am
by tabasco122
the last 3 reviews on that clutch kit are not favorable, maybe you should break it in properly lol.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm
by Duck Vader
I am usually not a huge fan of miatas, but man, that is a pretty car.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:28 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]Now that I have it running I put the 'winter' wheels and tires on since I'm planning on daily driving it for awhile to break in the clutch. I also put up a reminder to start it in neutral as Flyin Miata recommends.
[/quote]

Why do they recommend this?

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 pm
by tabasco122
The black makes it look so much better than mine.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:30 pm
by tabasco122
[quote=""aaronatstate""]Why do they recommend this?[/quote]

I think it's more for the stage two, but it's to prevent the Thrust bearing from being trashed from the added pp force of starting it before oil is flowing.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:30 pm
by tabasco122
Some miatas had issues with crank walk like the dsms

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:40 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""Duck Vader""]I am usually not a huge fan of miatas, but man, that is a pretty car.[/quote]Thanks black makes it photograph pretty well, but I honestly prefer them in white.
[quote=""aaronatstate""]Why do they recommend this?[/quote]

[quote=""tabasco122""]I think it's more for the stage two, but it's to prevent the Thrust bearing from being trashed from the added pp force of starting it before oil is flowing.[/quote]

:smartie: basically its one of the only weak points on the Miata BP engine. As part of the clutch kit FM includes a bracket that clips over the clutch depressed switch so you can start it without pressing the clutch.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:49 pm
by Hans_GZP
Damn. We just slam new clutches into new builds and beat the shit out of them on the dyno immediately. None of this "break in" nonsense!!!!

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 pm
by mjannusch
Easy break-in is designed to make sure when the thing fails, you are already out of warranty.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:21 pm
by Chris GTO TT
Depending on how FM does its warranty I may already be out of the warranty period... I bought it in October of 2016.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:16 am
by Chris GTO TT
and something in the clutch hydraulics let go on the way home today. Pumping the clutch gets me enough pressure to shift, but the pressure eventually bleeds off letting the input shaft spin again. No leaks at the new slave, so it might be the master :eh:

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:20 am
by vr4
No external leaks... It's a master. Either leaking inside the firewall or internally bypassing.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:26 am
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""vr4""]No external leaks... It's a master. Either leaking inside the firewall or internally bypassing.[/quote]

Yeah I was leaning towards it internally bypassing as the reservoir was still completely full.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:30 am
by vr4
I mean you could be ballooning the soft line but that'll usually pop and shouldnt allow you to build pressure from repeated pumping.

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:35 am
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""vr4""]I mean you could be ballooning the soft line but that'll usually pop and shouldnt allow you to build pressure from repeated pumping.[/quote]

no more soft lines hard line to braided SS line now :)

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:38 am
by vr4
[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]no more soft lines hard line to braided SS line now :) [/quote]

I figured you did that while it was apart

Re: Bought a Miata

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:43 am
by stealthee
Look up under the dash where the master rod comes through. You might see a few wet spots. It doesn't have to leak much to cause pedal loss.