Page 20 of 35

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:22 pm
by Jeff V.
Finally took the time to do an MPG calculation. Got ~16 mpg in mixed driving on the last tank. GM rated it at 14 city and 17 highway, so that's actually pretty good with the huge tires.

Speaking of the tires, I'm wondering just how many miles this truck actually has. Depending on when the tires were first put on, the odometer could be off by quite a bit. It doesn't really matter, but I'm still curious.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:49 pm
by mjannusch
Did they get the speedometer calibrated right when they put the bigger tires on?

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:55 pm
by Jeff V.
Nope. It's about 5 mph off based on my phone's GPS. I wish there was more DIY GM ECU stuff out there. It's so stupid for me to pay a couple hundred dollars to change one value in the calibration when I've got all this reflash hardware at home.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:00 pm
by ChargerX3
Maybe the GM platform is just waiting for you? You are the guru.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:10 pm
by Jeff V.
I'd honestly take a crack at it, if there was at least a free or cheap tool to read and write the flash.

There's some stuff out there for the older Class 2 network vehicles, but I don't know of anything that works with the 2008 and newer GMLAN/CAN stuff.

I've actually got GMs programing specification documents, but since I can't actually write my own software, it does me no good.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:11 pm
by Duck Vader
Better mpg than my XJ.

Do you know if you can use a speedohealer or yellow box on the H3? When I regeared and put bigger tires on the LJ that is what I did.

Or if you can get a new speedo gear? In the XJ it was a simple swap on the transfer case when I got bigger tires.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 pm
by Chris GTO TT
Here I was happy I got 16.7mpg out of my Sequoia over 245 miles when I filled it up yesterday lol.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:24 pm
by Jeff V.
Jason, I don't know if there's anything like that for GM. To be honest, I never even thought to look. I kind of get tunnel vision with this stuff sometimes. I'll check it out.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:54 pm
by ChargerX3
[quote=""Duck Vader""]Better mpg than my XJ.

Do you know if you can use a speedohealer or yellow box on the H3? When I regeared and put bigger tires on the LJ that is what I did.

Or if you can get a new speedo gear? In the XJ it was a simple swap on the transfer case when I got bigger tires.[/quote]

Interesting my XJ used to get about 18mpg or better.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:30 pm
by Duck Vader
I average 15 on the last two tanks.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:32 pm
by MumRa
you guys are really doing a number on the environment with these vehicles. :lol:

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:17 pm
by vr4
I'm averaging 14 in the exploder over 379.52 gallons used.

It's rated 13/18. I do mostly city driving with it now and have a heavy foot

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:51 pm
by Jeff V.
Something else I meant to post about. Vira got me a very nice early birthday present.

Image

It's a Kenwood DMX7706S. It'll do Android Auto and Carplay. The install was pretty easy. Metra makes a really nice interface kit that interfaces with the truck's data bus so my chimes are retained. The touchscreen on this thing is great. It's a TFT, and I'm pretty sure the touch technology is capacitive rather than resistive. So it's a lot more responsive, like a smartphone.

I still need to run the wires for the backup camera. I think I'm going to make a bracket and put it inside the spare tire. I don't want to mount it near the license plate because the spare sticks out further. There's a guy that makes one for $32, but I'm not paying that for something I could make with the scrap metal I have laying around.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm
by ChargerX3
That is nice for sure. Way better than a stock unit.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm
by DCIV
Shouldn’t you be able to flash yours just like I can flash my avalanche? I was gonna have the rear O2’s turned off so I can quit hearing about my cat not working and then also have them take off the speed limiter. Not that I’m ever gonna go 95 or whatever it is, I just don’t like the idea of them telling me I can’t.


Coop

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:37 pm
by Jeff V.
I can pay someone else to do it, or I can spend too much for something like HP Tuners and do it myself. But there's nothing free or cheap like ECUFlash.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:11 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I can pay someone else to do it, or I can spend too much for something like HP Tuners and do it myself. But there's nothing free or cheap like ECUFlash.[/quote]

Gotcha. Yeah, I want HP tuners but I only want to change a couple things.


Coop

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:00 am
by Chris GTO TT

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:13 pm
by Jeff V.
I look at that and all I can think is hooker stink and glitter.

Re: Yes, we bought an H3. Deal with it :p

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:58 pm
by Chris GTO TT
:lol: it's not Vegas