Page 2 of 2

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 am
by aaronatstate
The way I figure flying vs driving is basically, if I can drive there in 8-10 hours I will. Flying out of XNA there are no direct flights except to hubs.

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:22 am
by vr4
[quote=""aaronatstate""]The way I figure flying vs driving is basically, if I can drive there in 8-10 hours I will. Flying out of XNA there are no direct flights except to hubs.[/quote]

8-10 is about my break point for driving vs flying.

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:59 pm
by alienviking
Yeah I will do 8.. 10 is stretching it a bit for me especially since we tend to take shorter (fewer days) trips. My round trip to Lake Placid was a disaster trip - 12 hours up and 15 back when it maps out to 9.5. Those 15 were driven straight from the finish line leaving a little after midnight.

Heck if there is a direct flight I might choose that down to 6 hours drive..

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:09 pm
by Duck Vader
It really depends on time of year, how long I will be there, and what car I have, but in general, if I can do it in one day non-stop, I will drive. I have driven from here in Portland to San Diego and back a couple of times. It is about 16 hours. Also have flown a couple of times. That is pretty much my limit though. Really debated on driving to Vegas (about 15 hours) but I can't leave until Thursday night so I would have to drive overnight and get there Friday afternoon/evening. Need to be there Friday morning. So flying out.

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:20 pm
by alienviking
16 hours? F that noise.

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:24 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""alienviking""]Yeah I will do 8.. 10 is stretching it a bit for me especially since we tend to take shorter (fewer days) trips. My round trip to Lake Placid was a disaster trip - 12 hours up and 15 back when it maps out to 9.5. Those 15 were driven straight from the finish line leaving a little after midnight.

Heck if there is a direct flight I might choose that down to 6 hours drive..[/quote]

Direct flights change everything.

When we drove back from Michigan this past 4th of July, we had planned to stop for the night in St. Louis, like we did on the way up. But when we got to the hotel, they were out of pet friendly rooms, so we couldn't stay there, which is BS, because it didn't really say that they had a limited number of pet friendly rooms. Anyway, we ended up driving the rest of the way through the night, and did 18 hours straight through. That sucked really bad :lol:

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:28 pm
by DCIV
When my grandma passed and I flew from TN to MI. It took just as long to drive because of connecting flights. If itÂ’s the same time...give me a car.


Coop

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm
by alienviking
I don't even mind connections. Good time to stretch the legs, have a good meal and relax.

Re: How many miles

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:43 pm
by Duck Vader
Nothing about flying is relaxing for me. :lol:

Re: How many miles

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:30 am
by stealthee
I think the biggest reason I don't mind long road trips is because I was on so many as a kid. When I was 5 I rode in the middle seat of a U-Haul truck with my dad on the left, my mom on the right, and my infant brother in his car seat on the floor between my mom's feet. This was a 2200 mile trip from southwestern PA to Las Vegas.

In the 4+ years we lived in Vegas we made the drive back east to visit family multiple times. Many times we literally drove straight through. My mom and dad would tag team the driving duties and we could make the trip in around 40 hours total.

When I lived in Ohio we made the 4 hour drive back to visit family probably 5 or 6 times a year for 4 years. We also drove to Olympia Washington and back when we moved out there and back.

In my 38 years alive I probably have close to 750,000 miles of road time on my ass.

Re: How many miles

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 pm
by J-Groove
I'm at 89K miles on the 2012 Regal GS
The 2013 Trail Teams FJ is at 32K I believe. Both has done multiple state trips.

Though the 1999 VR-4 has also done cross country trips, she is at 77K iirc. I don't hesitate to take her on long trips, I just have a longer checklist of things to scope out before I do. haha

-John

Re: How many miles

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""stealthee""]I think the biggest reason I don't mind long road trips is because I was on so many as a kid. [/quote]

Same. I am a lot younger, but I moved a lot growing up and have family all over. Plus my dad is a long haul truck driver so would spend weeks on the road with him sometimes. I have either driven though or rode through 49 of the 50 states. Nothing for me to sit in a car and drive for many many miles for days if need be as long as I am comfortable.

Re: How many miles

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:30 pm
by vegasidol
I agree with the max 8-10 hour drive, as a preference. That's my comfortable limit. But we still do 13 to MI sometimes. Breaking it up in two days makes it easier.

It's hard on my back. I really wish it wasn't. I'd like to road trip across the west. May be more comfortable in an RV or something I could take breaks to stand up or lay down in.

Re: How many miles

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:37 pm
by tabasco122
currently 205k on the engine, 83k on the chassis lol.

WRX has 67k on it.