Bought a Miata

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by ChargerX3 »

No problem. We have a car trailer too but picked up a dolly this year. Has it’s perks.
Image
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15951
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by Chris GTO TT »

I managed to snag this track day for $99, and because of the high temperatures I had only plan on running the morning 3 sessions. When I came off track at 11:30ish at the end of the 3rd session it was already 90ish. The heat and some excessive tire pressure led to the tires getting pretty well cooked. I was getting lots of rubber build up and then it would launch it off the tires.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26793
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by DCIV »

I have no idea what you mean?


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by Jeff V. »

That's great :bigthumb:
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15951
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Coop,
Basically the rubber got hot enough to begin to get extra greasy. It then builds up on the tread as it's pushed around by cornering. Eventually the clag gets flung loose from the tire. You can see it in the 3rd picture. The rubber on the ground near the tire was pealed off the tread.
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14538
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by vr4 »

Ohh those are cooked.


Regarding the trailer... Yeah a dolly would be significantly easier but if he were to go off and damage something using the dolly to get back might not work
DOGE
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15951
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by Chris GTO TT »

I also burned up the front pads so I placed an order for these and some new Centric Premium Rotors.
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15951
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Burning off the rubber build up on the rear tires is easy :p eelout:... Fronts are a little bit more difficult.
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14538
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]I also burned up the front pads so I placed an order for these and some new Centric Premium Rotors.[/quote]

I'll be interested to see how they perform. I've got performance friction on my explorer right now. Haven't cooked them yet but also haven't run them as hard as I did when I destroyed the Z36 pads.
DOGE
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15951
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by Chris GTO TT »

The Jeff's people (corvette owners) really seem to like them on the track. Also they are the pads used by Bondurant so should be good enough for me.
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15951
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought a Miata

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Put the stock wheels with the all season tires on today. Lows have been in the 30s the last few days.

Image
20181112_095029 by christobal65, on Flickr

Image
20181112_101119 by christobal65, on Flickr
Post Reply